Frequently Asked Questions
Arriving at Varala
Q: What is the address of Varala Sport Insititute?
A: Varalankatu 36, 33240 Tampere, Finland
Q: How to arrive by bus?
A: The local bus number 10 runs from the centre of town right next to the institute, multiple times an hour. There is a short 200m walk to the bus stop from the railway station, which is located in front of Stockmann retail building. Varala is the name of the stop closest to the institute.
Public transportaion schedule and map:
The Bus Transit Map
Q: How to arrive by car?
A: There are two main routes to get to Varala:
From Helsinki-Tampere Expressway
As you arrive to Tampere you will reach Viinikka roundabout. From here you should follow signs KESKUSTA and HÄMEENPUISTO, which take you under the Ratina bridge and past the Ratina stadium. Further down the road, you turn left at the HOTELLI ROSENDAHL sign after which you drive up the hill and turn left at the stop sign. After you have reached Hotel Rosendahl, there is a tight corner after which you turn left to Varalakatu and again left at the entrance of the institute gates.
From Vaasa, Pori, Jyväskylä and Lahti
Arriving from this direction (along Kekkosentie/Paasikiventie) you turn right to Sepänkatu at the top of a small hill before Särkänniemi amusement park. Take the right lane and turn right at the traffic lights to Satakunnankatu. Take the left lane and turn right to Pirkankatu. Immediately after turning, take the lane further left and turn left Vesilinnankatu. After this you can just follow the VARALA signs to our gates.
Q: Is there parking for my personal transportation?
A: There is limited parking at Varala so we recommend using public transportation if possible. There is parking outside the gates of the institute along Varalakatu and there is a small parking area right next to the gate marked as parking spots (P).
When parking on the street:
– Do not block the street. Parking is allowed only on the side of the pavement.
– Do not block access to houses or the entrance of the institute.
– Do not park on the pavement.
– Leave space for others as well.
In accordance with safety protocols, parking directly in front of the gate or front doors is now allowed. Please note that parking along Pyynikintie or Tahmelantie is not allowed and could result in a fine.
Q: Can you accomodate private buses/coaches?
A: The is not enough space for buses inside the institute gates. For such vehicles we recommend letting people off the bus at the A gate or alternatively at the bus stops next to Varala, which are only a 100m walk from the gate. Especially during winter we strongly recommend the bus stops.
Accomodation and Booking
Q: How can we contact Varala about booking?
A: You can contact our reception via phone, email or through third party app:
Reception opening hours
- Monday to Friday 7.45am – 19.00pm
- Saturday 8am – 6pm
- Sunday 8.30am – 15.30pm
Phone: 03 2631 111
Q: What are the general booking terms for camps and courses at Varala?
A: Varala has 3 main policies regarding booking terms:
1. You do not need a specific reason for cancellation if :
– The booking is cancelled 28 days before the beginning of the course/camp, a cancelling fee of 25€ will be charged.
– The booking is cancelled between 28 and 14 days before the start of the course/camp, a cancelling fee of 50€ will be charged.
– The booking is cancelled between 14 days and 48 hours before the start of the course/camp, a 50% of the price of the course/camp is charged.
– The booking is cancelled later than 48 hours before the start of the course/camp we/Varala reserve the right to charge the entire price of the course/camp.
2. If you fall ill before the course or camp, we require a doctor’s note in which case we charge 25€ for office expenses and return the rest of the original price of the course or camp. However, should you have to leave in the middle of the course or camp due to sudden illness Varala is not required to return your money or give you a discount.
3. Depending on the course/camp, the minimum number of attendees is 10-12 people. We reserve the right for cancellations 14 days before the start as well as changes in prices and times. Should the cancellation occur due to us, we will contact you immediately and return the booking fee in full.
Q: What are the terms for payments at Varala?
A: When making a booking, you can choose either a bill, an online payment or a credit card payment.
The due date for the payments are between two to six weeks prior depending of the event. By paying you are guaranteed a place on the course/camp and the payment needs to be made in advance in order to participate. In the case of the Group Deal, the contact person for the deal must collect the payments from the group and pay at the reception on arrival. Billing afterwards is an option for a 9,50€ billing fee. Please note: The price will be higher per person if there are less than 10 participants in our group deal.
Q: What first aid facilites do you have on premise?
A: First aid kits are available at the reception desk as well as Cafe Anna.
Q: Can we bring our pets during our stay?
A: Pets are not allowed indoors.
Q: Do you have free Wi-Fi?
A: We have Wi-Fi and the password is available for free at the reception desk.
Q: What types of local services are available while I stay at Varala?
A: There are many local service available here are a few links to help inform you to what is available:
- Tampere public transport time tables
- Exercise centres run by the city
- Särkänniemi amusement park, only 2,2km from Varala
- Pyynikki kesäteatteri-outdoor theatre, only 1,2 km from Varala